Direct Clinical Care/Clinical Support
- Accurately documents patient's chief complaint, medical history, and vital signs and completes pertinent forms within the Electronic Health Record and in accordance with the Best Practice Work Flows
- Prepares/instructs/positions and drapes the patient
- Performs EKGs, PFTs, rapid strep, pregnancy tests and other tests that may be ordered by the physician or provider
- Performs phlebotomy and venipuncture as needed
- Assists in minor surgeries and procedures such as pap smears, suturing, dressing changes, catheterizations, and casting. Practices aseptic and sterile techniques as needed
- Provide patients with educational materials as requested by the provider. Instructs patients about medications, diet, and exercise
- Prepares and administers medication as directed by physician or provider or as indicated in the patient record
- Ensures timely telephone assessments, including triage of appropriate care for patients with appropriate documentation and scheduling
- Orders medications within Hospital policy for refills and prescription processing
- Provides clinical support for all providers and physicians
- Assists providers and physicians with review of reports and clinical studies
- Assists providers and physicians with communication to patients regarding test results, recommendations, and responses to treatment plans
- Prepares the examination room with needed supplies, instruments, and equipment, and maintains room in a clean manner
- Ensures the providers and physicians are on schedule being mindful of emergencies and unexpected interruptions
- Prepares specimens and documentation for processing or transportation to processing facility
- Ensures vaccines are handled and administered in accordance with standards of the NH Immunization Program with provision for reporting of adverse events
Supply, Equipment, and Medication Coordination
- Supervises the maintenance of an inventory of supplies and equipment as required to perform clinical services.
- Ensures that emergency equipment is checked and functional
- Cares, cleans, and sterilizes equipment per instructions or established procedures
- Ensures hazardous materials are stored, handled, and disposed of in accordance with Hospital policies
- Ensures vaccines are stored in accordance with standards of the NH Immunization Program
- Ensures that sample products are stored properly and that they are inspected periodically and removed if outdated
- Keeps drug closets clean and organized while ensuring all medications are current and disposing of expired medications per Hospital policy.
- Orders medical supplies and medications/immunizations as needed and keeps exam rooms and bathrooms stocked.
Patient Access and Office Coordination
- Schedules appointments and completes orders for patients for appointments, procedures, tests, and consultations with other providers as requested by the provider.
- Completes and processes HMO referrals, pre-certifications, or pre-approvals as needed
- Answers the telephone, files, and retrieves records as needed
- Ensures efficient patient flow and provides timely assessment of patients presenting at the office
Surgical Patient Navigation
- Remains proficient and knowledgeable in breast diseases
- Provides patient educational information and support to all surgical patients
- Provides emotional support and referral resources
- Facilitates physicians’ recommendations for patient care and helps ensure patient compliance and understanding
- Facilitates support groups for patients, support partners, and children
- Advocates for the needs of breast cancer patients and families
- Researches and stays abreast of the latest information on changes in breast health and breast cancer care to help keep staff and physicians up to date
- Serves as a consistent care coordinator throughout the continuum of care assessing the physical, psychological, and social needs of the patient.